Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Things I do to save time and simplify










I've always wanted to write down the creative ways I try to organize my life

Share socks with Tyson. We only buy one kind of black and one kind of white. We don't put them in pairs but just grab two socks because by they match

I wear the same clothes for 4 days at a time. Since I work from home I end up wearing the same thing everyday. They don’t the get dirty either because I am just home. Tyson wears uniforms to work and will wear the same outfit for three days. 

We put out our clothes the night before. We make lunches the night before. 

I vacuum upstairs every other week. I only wash the floors once a month or if company is coming over. 

I menu plan and order my groceries with Walmart to go - it's been amazing. I just swing by on Fridays and they put in my groceries In the car. This alone saves me 3 hours per week

Eat the same foods on rotation so I am not always wasting time figuring out new recipes.

We do all our stuff online and have monthly budgeting meetings. 

The girls wear only legging jeans and shirts. They each have three dresses for Sunday but no fancy stuff during the day. 

We don't do any extra activities yet. Most likely swimming or tumbling will be our first activities but maybe next year. 

We clean up every night. We simplify and rotate our toys and only keep 10 out at a time. 

We have six pairs of pants and 12 shirts for each girl. We only have one light jacket and one heavy jacket,

We don't plan more than one outing per day. We plan our driving to be the most efficient. 

I wash the counters with the rag I use to wash the girls while they are taking baths. 

I buy the girls clothes a size bigger so I don't have to shop all the time. 

We limit the amount of books we have our and rotate them. 

We only use the same tubberwear so they stack. We only use 10 small plates and canning jars as cups. We only drink water from water bottles so we don't dirty cups. 

We don't wash our sheets often. Probably every couple of months. Some say it's dirty but we shower at night so most of our skin is already off. We also got rid of all our decorating pillows - this makes our bed making easier. 

I use the same bowls that stack on each other. If we have a party I always use plastic to save clean up time. We have two pairs of shoes for each girl - Sunday, boots for winter and maybe some rain boots. 

We have a family closet, which saves us tons of laundry time and getting dressed time. 

The reason I do this and other crazy things is because I believe in being intentional about everything I do. I feel like I have matured so much in this aspect. I don't want to be busy for the sake of being busy. I don't believe in letting my house get super messy just because I have small kids. Our routines allows more time to work on our goals and to be together. 

One of the only reasons I am able to work almost 30 hours per week is because my life is simple and I am intentional with my actions. Between Tyson doing work, seminary, another business and me working, the girls, teaching Sunday school, maintaining the home - we could so easily get busy doing just stuff. But with our routines our choices are limited. 


I heard that the president only wears two suits and has the same breakfast every morning. Ice heard of successful people wear the same thing - why when they have the resources for more options. It's because they do t want to "think" about trivial things. Their energy goes toward the bigger goals. I believe so much in this concept of even just to our small family 


1 comment:

  1. I've been thinking a lot about simplicity and being intentional this last year. I feel like I have made a lot of strides in this area, but naturally I do not prefer it, so it has been a lot of learning for me. (Like, I love having a lot of clothing choices every day. But I have learned that having a smaller wardrobe, with about forty items total, including shirts, skirts, pants, cardigans, sweaters, lets me have plenty of choice while still fitting into a very small closet and I share one chest of drawers with Avram. And then since I have been wearing things more than once if they are not dirty, and working on that with my kids too, we have less laundry to do, which is always nice. But I have a long way to go still. I love reading about how you simplify, and of course, then are able to make time for what you really want to do.

    ReplyDelete